Benefits of APSSP Membership
Interested in learning more about APSSP?
1) View a brief presentation on the work of APSSP below:
The Benefits of APSSP membership
- Membership in a province wide union that focuses exclusively on representing the needs of professional student support service staff.
- Membership in a union with some of the best collective agreement language, including salary rates, among professional support student staff in the province.
- A democratic union in which each and every member is invited and may vote at the annual general meeting.
- A Union with a structure that allows for a considerable degree of local autonomy and provides a generous dues rebate to Local Chapters.
- Access to legal services, benefits consultants, and professional union negotiation services.
- Ongoing support and training opportunities including an annual education weekend for local executives and two Saturday workshops for grievance and collective bargaining.
- Legal support to members in dealing with CAS allegations.
- A dues structure set at 1% of salary which is the among the lowest in the education sector (all dues are tax deductable).
- Communication and consultation with the Ministry of Education.
- Experience and success in negotiating a province wide framework to support local negotiations.
How Can We Organize a Bargaining Unit at Our Workplace?
Contact Us, the provincial president through the APSSP website for further details.
- Invite an APSSP representative to speak with you and your colleagues on the benefits of APSSP membership.
- Arrange for as many employees as possible in the new bargaining unit to sign APSSP membership cards. At least 40% of the bargaining unit must sign cards in order for the Ontario Labour Relations Board to order a vote.
- APSSP will use its professional consultant to file an application with the Ontario Labour Relations Board.
- Within 5 working days of the application a secret ballot vote will be held.
- The Board will certify the Union if more than 50% of the ballots are cast in favour of APSSP.